Photographs Without Self

I have a repository of around 8000 photographs from last ten years when mobiles started with cameras and I could afford to buy them. A vacation anywhere must have good clicks and they must be posted on social media with the help of some filters where a gray rainy day looks like it was the most perfect (if not sunny) day where we did not look as bedraggled as we felt. This seemed like a huge task which is mostly done by kids who want to look fab on Instagram but too tiresome for me.




 Recently I have been told that I am a 'perfectionist' by a psychometric test - I never really thought myself to be one but yes now that I reflect over it, I may be one as that may be the only way I look at a thing / a task or a reflection in the mirror or a photograph. Speaking of which I always cringe when I see any of my photographs - in my opinion my facial expressions are always zombie like, spaced out, frowning or just not interested to be photographed. I officially have only 4 good photographs in the last 10 years or so where I actually look as I expect myself to look!

So given that I look like some outer space creature (and really wide in photographs), I decided to keep out of them - I am always volunteering to take the pictures of the group rather than that distorted selfie where I don't recognize myself, of course I cannot avoid some being taken and popping up on social media and I have been successful to keep my self  out mostly. When I pass on, one of the four officially 'proper' photographs should be appropriate for my memorial service.

Over the years after traveling to many many places I love to browse through my library of photographs and remember the place with vivid clarity as the focus of the photograph is the place and not my face (or faces of family or friends) obliterating the beauty of the monument or scenery or place which is really the star. If there are people then they are a part of the place and not necessarily posing which blends in well. If people have to be in the photograph, they must be placed in a manner that gives the space some respect.




Recently one of my friends asked me why in any of my travel posts on FaceBook there are no photographs of me - well I guess this post is the answer to the question and here I present you some of the photographs taken by me that I love.

More on my Instagram - ichatteralot

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sibling Rivalry

My First Job

The Chatroom - Then & Now